Our agents are on hand to speak to you 7 days a week.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US NOW!     01425 600129     enquiries@bankruptcy.co.uk
White House Looking Archives - Bankruptcy UK

OUR TEAM ARE AVAILABLE NOW TO HELP WITH COMPLEX INSOLVENCY ISSUES

 

White House ‘Looking closely’ at including student debt in bankruptcy

March 2015 – President Barack Obama has asked administrators to table proposals for including certain types of student debt, especially that loaned by private companies, in bankruptcy. Federal law currently prohibits any student debt, whether from private companies or the US Government from being liquidated in bankruptcy.

Private loans currently make up about 10% of all student loans, with the remaining 90% made by the federal government thus opening the door for student debt made by private lenders to be treated on par with credit card debt and mortgages.

The concern, it seems, is that an increasing number of post graduates are falling behind in payments, while others have defaulted altogether. If the initiative proceeds, private lenders would face stricter federal oversight and rules designed to make them more proactive in reaching out to distressed borrowers and offering better repayment terms.

As it stands, it is not possible to include student debt in a UK bankruptcy.

 

 

Bankruptcy UK

Bankruptcy UK