Our agents are on hand to speak to you 7 days a week.
GET IN TOUCH WITH US NOW!     01425 600129     enquiries@bankruptcy.co.uk
Can I go Bankrupt in the UK if I live in America? - Bankruptcy UK



Can I go Bankrupt in the UK if I live in America?

It all comes down to something called ‘Centre of Main Interests’ (COMI), which is all about showing that you mainly live here, but occasionally go abroad. Unfortunately, there is a great deal of ‘Bankruptcy Tourism’ going on and the courts now look long and hard at fringe cases. For you to go bankrupt in the UK you will to show that you have been living here for the greater part of 6 months i.e. three months and a day.

Provided you have a national insurance number, tax reference number, local bank account and are on the electoral roll, you will almost certainly be accepted. As a matter of interest, there are no cross border insolvency agreements between the UK and the US,  so while you are welcome to include US debt in a UK bankruptcy, the US creditors are not obliged to recognise it. However, those same banks would not be able to pursue you for the debt while you remained in the UK.

Feel free to call us with any further questions or for bankruptcy help on 01425 600129 or 07479 739139 / 07894 481175.


Bankruptcy UK

Bankruptcy UK